From Music-China Wiki
Udo Hoffmann, a German guy and Guru in the chinese Rock scene and a big time supporter of the Jazz scene.
His first visit to China lies back in the late 70's and he settled down in Beijing in the 80's. He started the first chinese Jazz Festivals out of which later became the infamous Midi Music Festival. In 1993, he managed to have Cui Jian, Tang Dynasty, Wang Yong and Cobra to perform in Berlin in "Haus der Kulturen der Welt".
He has been working for Midem, DAAD and Goethe Institut during the years and also brought the German Rock legend Udo Lindenberg to China in 2003 ? For many years people also know him as the manager of the Beijing based event company Logistix. In recent years, he initiated the German Pop Festival as part of the giant culture project DuC (Deutschland und China gemeinsam in Bewegung).
He is a German who speaks fluent Mandarin and has been travelling between Germany and China the past 20 years. He is a music lover and developed a deep insight into both the Chinese and German music industries. He initiated China's first international jazz festival in 1993 and organized several more festivals.
He is now in China for the Pop Music Festival, a showcase of the best examples of German pop for the Chinese people.
He is Udo Hoffmann.
He calls himself Music Grandpa and is committed to music communication and exchange between China and Germany. Today, Music Grandpa joins us in studio, sharing his thoughts about the music industries of these two countries, and his experience of organizing music festivals, as well as his impressions of China.
Having been living in China for nearly two decades, Mr. Hoffmann has always been a dedicated cultural messenger between Germany and China.
- ↑ de-cn.net (March 2010). "10 Questions to Udo Hoffmann". Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- ↑ 郝晓辉 (2005-12-12). "吾道·霍夫曼：与成功一个转身的距离". Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- ↑ CRI (2009-06-30 17:56:43). "Udo Hoffmann, Committed to Music Communication and Exchange between China and Germany". Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- ↑ CRI (2008-07-03). "Germany and China - Moving Ahead Together". Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
Interviews and Articles
Resources in Chinese
- "我们将向沈阳展示多种多样的音乐风格" by dezhongtongxing.com April 2009
- "霍吾道为独立音乐创造空间" by Sina.com.cn July 2009
- "10话实说: 霍吾道 （Udo Hoffmann）" by de-cn.net March 2010
- "吾道·霍夫曼：与成功一个转身的距离", a blog post by 郝晓辉 December 2005
- "积极分子"霍吾道" by 音乐周报 January 2001
Resources in English or German
- Udo Hoffmann on Radio (FM 91.5) July 2001
- The LAND Tour and the Rise of Jazz in China 2006
- Interview with Udo Hoffmann (DuC) April 2009
- Interview with Udo Hoffmann (de-cn.net) March 2010
- Interview with Udo Hoffmann (tagblatt.de) March 2011
(so far listed in Rockinchina.com)
- Waiting for Jazz
- Beijing Jazz Festival
- Beijing Jazz Festival 1995
- Beijing Jazz Festival 1996
- China Calling in Berlin 2007
- DuC German Esplanade (2006-2010) see below